Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Bush Relies on Entreprenuerial Americans: And So Do I!

George W. Bush made a speech today about "the people's money" and thanked the entreprenueurial American people for being entreprenuers and growing the economy.

A stirring speech as always, and, as always remarkably similar to a speech I made to the current treasurer of the Union Street Block Association last night.

I was talking to the treasurer because in my run for president of the block association, I've been inspecting the association's finances. I have found that it has been running on tired old liberal economic assumptions -- like donations, raffles and fund-raising block parties. I felt compelled, therefore to make a little speech to the treasurer.

So, first read a section from George W.'s speech today, and then read what I said to the block association treasurer last night, what he said back to me, and what I said back to him.

PRESIDENT BUSH(The White House, East Room): We said we got an economic issue, and we're going to let you have more of your own money to help us recover from recession, the stock market correction and terrorist attacks and war and natural disasters, and the people haven't let us down, have they? This economy is strong.

PAUL M. SARK (The Tea Lounge, Main Room): I say we got an economic issue, and we got to let people on Union Street have more of their own money to help us recover from recession, the stock market correction and terrorist attacks and war and natural disasters. The people of Union Street won't let us down. This economy is strong.

UNION STREET BLOCK ASSOCIATION TREASURER: So what are you proposing, Mr. Sark? That we have fund-raiser block parties and let the people running the games and doing the face-painting keep the money? Tell people to keep their donations and spend it on preventing terrorist attacks?

PAUL M. SARK: You are so old economy! We can start our own Union Street Stock Exchange for one thing. For another, we can start our own Union Street Commodities Exchange. Think of the possibilities!

Well, I guess I "blew his mind," because at that point the liberal treasurer just stared at me and stared at me. Then he wished me good luck in the election and bolted.

Sound conservative fiscal policy is something a lot of people in my liberal neighborhood just don't understand.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

4 comments:

Robert said...

Paul,
Obviously, you have nothing but the best intentions for Union Street. However, isn't a neighborhood association meant to build community and provide fun activities for all? Why are you tainting something as innocent as a block party with ideas of conservative fiscal policy? You and I appear to be in similar situations, we need to stop working and start living.
Well, off to work.
Robert

Moderator said...

Brilliant idea on the stock exchange. But have natural disasters hit Union Street? If so, you are in my prayers.

Paul M. Sark said...

Yes, we've had disasters, Grant. Though unnatural mostly.

To wit, a tornado of tax and spend liberals!

Cup said...

Sark, it amazes me why you have yet to be summoned to D.C. ...