Friday, July 07, 2006

George W. Dreams Only of America; And So Do I!

George W. Bush is very busy these days winning all the wars that America is currently engaged in: the War on Flag Burning, the War on the New York Times, the War on Mexican Immigrants, the War on Liberal Skeptics, to name just a few. He doesn't have a lot of time to read or think about poetry.

But knowing how much George W. cares about education, I believe he would encourage the American people to take a little time out from fighting all the wars he's asked us to fight on America's behalf and read at least a little poetry.

Below are a few stanzas of a poem about America by John Ashbery, an American, recommended by a person who commented on one of my previous posts. I can't say as I really understand the poem; but it does have America in the title, and it doesn't mention flag-burning, liberals, Mexicans, or left-wing celebrities, so I assume it's patriotic.

Also, the person who commented -- who signed in as "this doesn't require thinking" -- was pretty funny, calling George W. a "certified idiot." I sometimes like that kind of sarcastic humor where you say exactly the opposite of what you mean. But anyway, I figure this person was being serious about the poem being a good one.

If you want to actually hear the entire poem, click on the title. It'll take you to a website at the University of Pennsylvania where you can hear a recording of John Ashbery reading it. It's down toward the bottom of the page under the heading "22 and 23."

By the way, Ashbery doesn't sound un-American either, so that's another reason why I guess this poem is okay.

THEY DREAM ONLY OF AMERICA
John Ashbery

They dream only of America
To be lost among the thirteen million
pillars of grass
“This honey is delicious
Though it burns the throat”

And hiding from darkness in barns
They can be grownups now
And the murderer’s ashtray is more
easily—
The lake a lilac cube

He holds a key in his right hand
“Please,” he asks willingly,
He is thirty years old. . . .


Technorati Tags: , , , ,

2 comments:

lydia said...

oh great, now I'm gonna have to read everything of his....thanks a lot Paul.

zhila said...

" I sometimes like that kind of sarcastic humor where you say exactly the opposite of what you mean. "

Hilare. I'm dead.