Thursday, March 16, 2006

GEORGE W. LIKES JESUS' IDEAS – AND I DO, TOO!

I was thinking about how George W. Bush's life and mine are so similar, and I remembered he said Jesus was his favorite philosopher. Jesus is one of my favorites, too.

Jesus' injunctions to love thy neighbor as thyself, to turn the other cheek, to help the poor, all are good rules to live by. One I particularly like is "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

It looks to me like George W. is always thinking about the other guy, and sticking up for what's right. Like when he told that fellow Brownie who messed up on Hurricane Katrina: "Heckuva job, Brownie" to make Brownie feel better even though he was probably really mad at Brownie for doing such a terrible job.

Then a few days later, George W. made that speech in New Orleans in front of the church about how he was definitely going to come through for the poor people there. That was absolutely the right thing to say at the time.

I heard on the radio that in an opinion poll that's been running since George W. Bush became president, people used to use the word "honest" as the number one word to describe him. But now, the number one word is "incompetent."

I'm sorry to say this, but f you ask me, Jesus wasn't always so competent either. After all, he did let one of his men betray him to his enemies, a managerial oversight which eventually led to him getting killed. George W., at least so far, is one up on Jesus in that respect.

And the American people aren't exactly off the hook either when it comes to competence. I mean half of them elected George W. to be president in the first place which when you think about it, is kind of like the pot calling the kettle black.

It seems to me America should turn its big cheek and let he who is without sin cast the first stone. If you know what I mean.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

getting a little heavy here Paul.

light 'n' breezy...like we talked about. Remember?