Saturday, April 29, 2006

Geoge W. Bush Says "No" to Tax on Oil Profits -- And So Do I!

George W. Bush, using his usual forceful presidential logic, said yesterday that he was against a windfall profit tax on oil company profits.

Here's what George W. said when a reporter asked him if he was against a oil profit tax, followed by what I said to my wife on the same topic. I think you'll have to agree that Me and George W. have amazingly similar ideas!

THE PRESIDENT: "Look, the temptation in Washington is to tax everything, and they spend the money -- "they" being the people in Washington."

And here's what I said to my wife yesterday when she complained about paying so much for gas:

PAUL M. SARK: "Look, the temptation in Washington is to tax everything, and they spend the money -- "they" being the people in Washington."

My wife shot me a disdainful look. "Like the billions of taxpayer dollars they're spending on Iraq?" She said it in that way she has when she thinks she's got me.

"Would you put a price on freedom?" I asked. "What is the price of freedom?"

She raised her eyebrows. "Well, isn't George Bush one of those people in Washington," she said, retreating from her first, and clearly ridiculous, position to an even more ridiculous position.

"Me and George W. are outsiders," I told her.

"I thought he was a decider," she said.

"He's an outsider and and a decider. That's what makes him a great president. He's an outsider decider."

"Oh," she said. "Thanks, Paul, for clarifying that for me."

"That's what me and George W. do for the American people," I said, snatching the credit card reciept for $45 from the pump with a flourish. "Clarify. Educate. Inform. Use the bully pulpit. Spend my political capital on things that matter to the American people, not the people in Washington."

"Can we just go now, Paul?" she asked with a sigh.

Sometimes I feel for my wife. I sometimes even feel for the tax and spend liberals in Washington.

I mean it's hard to win an argument when you don't have a leg to stand on!

Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: